The Ultimate Guide To The College Search & Steps To Become A Doctor
Completion of school level education and pursuing medical line is a challenge in itself. Choosing right medical college after giving Medical exams conducted by Central or State government is a key issue to be tackled. Medical colleges funded by government in India has quite subsidised fee structure and they have great credibility too like AIIMS( All India Institute of Medical Science), CMC, AFMC. Full course fee runs in thousands. But if you don’t get sufficient merit position to be in government colleges then you have to choose among private medical colleges only whose fee runs in lakhs.
Choose Right Medical College:
So apart from your qualifying marks, there are other criteria also to choose right medical college for yourself like:
- Make a list of top medical colleges where you would like to go and you have chances of getting admission into? Prepare a checklist of the features that you would like to have in your college.
- Ask your seniors or friends who are already pursuing the course there about the college and its ranking. You can also find out from net, electronic or print media.
- There are various International medical colleges also like Harvard or John Hopkins. Russia, USA and UK have top medical colleges. You can go to their websites and gather information if you are interested to study abroad.
- Is the medical college near your residence. If No then is there any hostel facility available? If No then would you get right accommodation for yourself nearby? Is that place safe and secure especially for girls? In case of study abroad option, does your city has good connectivity ( by air/train) to that place.
- Check the infrastructure, library and lab facilities, number of students and faculty members of college. Gathering useful information will help you cross check your check list. Also check their admission criteria so that you know that you are eligible to apply.
- Since your whole career depends on this decision so don’t apply in haste. Just weigh pros and cons of taking admission in your shortlisted colleges and then finalize the best one for you.
- Don’t be in a rat race or blind follower of your friends or relatives. Use your discretion as each person has a different aim and interest in life. Moreover, choosing right subjects or specialization for you is your call only. So, the opportunities that the medical college will provide you to fulfil you aim matters a lot!
- In addition to all this, you must make sure that your medical college is duly approve by Medical Council of India and has A or A+ rank given by NAAC. This point has to be specially taken care of in case of private colleges.
- In case of choosing college outside India, you should be well aware of their accreditations and certifications. Also take care that they provide good internships with reputed doctors or hospitals so that it helps you to get good placements later.
So, choosing right medical college for yourself is a stepping stone for you to be future medical practitioner. Keeping in view the above points will give you an edge above others!